A tourist visa (or tourist card) is required for all nationals from the US (thanks to Obama it’s now legal and easy for Americans to visit), Britain, Canada, Australia and the EU. All other nationals should check with their local embassy.  

The tourist can usually be purchased directly at the airport. Either at the checkin or right before boarding the plane. Please check with your local travel agency or airline.

The tourist visa for Cuba is valid for 180 days after issue and enables single entry into Cuba for 30 days (you can extend for another 30 days once there). Visitors must also show a valid passport, proof of return flights and accommodation.

US Citizens traveling to Cuba

Although the gates to Cuba are now opened, it’s not “officially” opened for everyone. There are 12 types of categories you need to fit into.

  • Family visits
  • Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
  • Journalistic activity
  • Professional research and professional meetings
  • Educational activities
  • Religious activities
  • Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
  • Support for the Cuban people
  • Humanitarian projects
  • Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
  • Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
  • Certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing regulations and guidelines.

While recent steps by the U.S. government to open relations with Cuba aren't providing carte blanche for tourism, it's likely that, for the first time in five decades, it will soon be easier for Americans to go and legally spend money there.


Travel insurance is required for all tourists and should be purchased at your local travel agency or insurance company.